Monday, October 10, 2011

Chapter Three- Our Keaton Mantra

      Sometimes inspiration comes from the strangest places, just jumps up and smacks you in the face.  Who knew that it would occassionally show up in the form of a trashy reality show.  I thought my Sunday night of mindless television would be just that.  Mommytime to watch shows that I have to put absolutely no thought into and just have a good laugh.  As usual you make plans . . .

     A portion of the New Jersey Housewives started me thinking - I know right I just said The housewives and thinking in the same sentence, crazier things have happened!  Caroline was talking about her son's departure from law school (and there was the obligatory flash back of footage)  because the school felt that he could not succeed as an attorney if they made accomodations for his learning disability. 

    I am aware looking back that I saw this footage when it originally aired, so I have a thing for the crazier members of my heritage flipping tables and not knowing who the V.P. is - no judgment allowed,  but at the time it made very little impact on me.  Frankly looking back I'm ashamed it didn't reek of unfairness that a person be denied the ability to prove what they can do because of their learning disability.  Of course it started me thinking- what if that was my son?

    Our mantra for Keaton is just because it is easier for someone else, doesn't mean you can't do it- it just means you have to work harder.  We talk about the benefits of having to work harder for things that may seem simple to others.  That poor child is probably sick of hearing the words 'we'll just work harder' come out of my mouth.

      I can see it it in his eyes though.  I can see the determination he has to do it and do it not as good as but better.  He will sit with us for hours studying sight words going over and over the same flash cards running the same words hoping that something will stick.  Spelling them making the sounds, but not being able to remember them a few minutes later.  Practicing for an hour or more a night - with a smile on his face.  I tire of hearing my own voice long before he gets antsy to go out and play.

      The idea of someone telling him he can't do something and be successful because he has a learning disability starts my blood boiling from deep within the core of my mommyness.  I know someday he will not the have insultation of youth surrounding him.  That someday the 'real world' will come calling to him.  I know that it will not often be as easy for him.  I know he may meet roadblocks that many of us couldn't imagine.  I also know that he has more determination at six years old than I have seen in many adults.  I know that he will meet those roadblocks head on.  I know he will be successful in whatever he chooses to pursue.  I can see within him such amazing potential and ability. 

      I want more than anything, as any mother does, to protect him from all the bad things and from those that would judge him for learning differently, understanding differently.  I also recognize that eventually he will have to go out without my hovering watch and that the best defense I can provide him is the strength to push through that which would hold him back.  Watch out World Keaton is comin' for ya! 


No comments:

Post a Comment